The New Hampshire Air National Guard began May 24, 1946 when the Army Air Force’s 311 th Fighter Group was redesignated the 101st Fighter Wing and transferred to the National Guard. The 133rd Fighter Squadron, part of the 101st, flew P-47D Thunderbolts from Grenier AFB in Manchester and replaced with P-51 H Mustangs in 1952. The squadron was activated for stateside duty during the Korean War. In 1954, the 133rd was redesignated the 133rd Fighter-Interceptor Squadron and entered the Jet Age flying F-94B Star1ires and changing to F-86L Sabers in 1958.
A change in command and mission came in 1960 with the Military Air Transport Service bringing the C-97 A Stratofreighters and a designation of the 157th Air Transport Group. The Group again activated in 1961-62 during the Berlin Crisis. Under the Military Airlift Command, the Group moved in 1966 to Pease Air Force Base, Portsmouth, New Hampshire. In 1968, reequipped with the C-124C Globemaster, the 157th provided worldwide mobility support for American Forces. Reassignment in 1971 to the Tactical Air Command brought the C-130A Hercules.